TRiO Student Support Services and LRSC PowerSkillsCenter provide Lake Region State College students with an opportunity to be successful. TRiO and PowerSkills helps students with study skills, tutoring, creating goals and objectives for their education, career and beyond. TRiO and PowerSkills provides students with an ideal study space including math and science labs, technology and textbook lending libraries and knowledgeable staff ready to assist you with any of your needs.
ACADEMIC ADVISING The TRiO/PowerSkills staff consists of three advisors with specific areas of expertise designed to assist a diverse population of students. Advisors provide mentoring on a regular basis to help students complete their associate degree through a dynamic plan of action individualized for each student.
CAREER/TRANSFER ADVISING TRiO/PowerSkills advisors work very closely with students to develop individual plans of study including support of major and career selection as well as transfer advice and assistance. Students can schedule transfer visits of four-year institutions, tour campuses, and meet with advisors at the university of their choice.
PROFESSIONAL TUTORING TRiO/PowerSkills students may request tutoring in courses they are having difficulty with after being fully admitted to the program. Tutoring services are FREE OF CHARGE to TRiO/PowerSkills students, but consist of a separate application process and specific student responsibilities.
PROFESSIONAL STUDY LABS TRiO/PowerSkills advisors, as well as professional tutors, offer weekly group study labs according to student requests and needs. Study labs offered range from math and chemistry labs to writing and psychology labs. Times and availability will vary per semester.
FINANCIAL LITERACY TRAINING & FAFSA ASSISTANCE Students are encouraged to complete training in financial literacy as part of their plan of study. One-on-one assistance is also offered in tax and FAFSA (Federal Assistance For Student Aid) completion. Annual "Tax-FAFSA Nights" provide students the opportunity for completion of these applications from experts in the field.
COMPUTER/PRINTER LOANS Students fully admitted to the program and in good standing may request calculators, laptops and/or textbooks on a first come, first serve basis. The TRiO/PowerSkillsCenter also offers students private computer, printing and study space.
DISABILITY SUPPORT SERVICES The PowerSkills Coordinator provides accommodations to students who request assistance and complete and submit the appropriate documentation. Services include alternative testing, note taking, priority seating and various technologies to assist students.
Lake Region State College students have certain responsibilities that need to be maintained to remain in the program:
- Maintain regular attendance for classes and tutoring sessions.
- Maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 each semester in order to graduate.
- Check your LRSC email (@ndus.edu) and eCompanion daily.
- Notify TRiO/PowerSkills staff of any changes to your personal information, such as address, phone number, or email address.
- Check your mid-term grades with your TRiO/PowerSkills advisor.
- Meet with your academic advisor before dropping or withdrawing from courses.
Complete the following tasks to help with the transfer process:
- ADMISSION APPLICATION (online or paper application) non-refundable application fees are due when the application is submitted.
- Contact Enrollment Services with any questions
- Application Procedures
- FINANCIAL AID Submit your FAFSA online in the spring of each year (after January 1st). File your taxes early. State grant aid may be available.
- PROGRAMS OF STUDY Decide on a major/minor by the beginning of your last semester.
- INFORMATION REQUEST Get information on admissions, financial aid, housing and your intended program/major.
- TUITION AND FEES What is the cost of your education going to be?
- VIRTUAL TOUR Most college websites will give you a tour online. You can also request an in-person tour.
- COURSE REGISTRATION Once you have been admitted, you should be able to register for classes. you can this via Campus Connection (for a North Dakota institution) or during a campus visit. Participate in an Orientation/Registration session if necessary.
Visit with the TRiO Director, Dr. Cathleen Ruch, or the PowerSkills Coordinator, Casey Zehrer, for assistance or with questions about the transfer process.
TRiO and PowerSkills Center Staff
Dr. Cathleen Ruch, TRiO and PowerSkillsCenter Director
701-662-1529 | 800-443-1313 ext. 21529 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Lindsey VanThuyne, Career & Technology Education (CTE) Advisor, TRiO
701-662-1641 | 800-443-1313 ext. 21641 | email@example.com
Taylor Henningsgard, PowerSkills Center Advisor
701-662-1481 | 800-443-1313 ext. 21481 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Jessica Dimitch, Counselor and Disability Support Services
701-662-1546 | 800-443-1313 ext. 21546 | email@example.com
Dana Walford, TRiO and PowerSkills Administrative Assistant
701-662-1642 | 800-443-1313 ext. 21642 | firstname.lastname@example.org