Thirteen North Dakota community college students have been named to the 2019 All-North Dakota Academic Team, which recognizes the academic achievements of community college students. The students were honored at a dinner and awards ceremony on March 19 at Bismarck State College.
Three of the students hail from Lake Region State College. They are Haley Lorenz of Lawton; Maara Nelson of Carrington; and Rosa Quiroz of Crookston, Minn.
“These students showcase leadership inside and outside of the classroom and are role models for fellow students,” said Dr. Doug Darling, LRSC President.
In North Dakota, the community college awards are co-sponsored by Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society and the North Dakota University System College Technical Education Council.
“At Lake Region State College, students are recommended by a committee headed by Dr. Randy Fixen and President Darling makes the final LRSC nomination. The nominees then go through a rigorous application process that is submitted to Phi Theta Kappa Headquarters. The state winners are chosen based on who receives the highest score,” said Teresa Tande, advisor for the LRSC Phi Theta Kappa chapter.
The academic team recognition program is active in 37 states. Students named to the state team also are nominated for the All-USA Academic Team.
“Being named to the All-North Dakota Academic Team is a significant accomplishment, one that reflects positively on both the students and their colleges,” said North Dakota University System Chancellor Mark Hagerott. “These students are outstanding examples of academic achievement and community involvement. This is another example of how students who attend North Dakota’s community colleges are well prepared to meet the evolving demands of the workforce or continue on for additional education.”
Nominations are based on outstanding academic performance and service to the college and community. Each member of the North Dakota team receives a certificate of congratulations from Gov. Doug Burgum, an award certificate, a medallion and a monetary award. Team members are also eligible for scholarships from Dickinson State University, Mayville State University, Minot State University, Valley City State University, North Dakota State University and the University of North Dakota. The University of Mary and University of Jamestown also offer awards to All-North Dakota Academic Team members.
Members of the 2019 All-North Dakota Academic Team and the colleges they attend are as follows:
• Nicolas Rohrich, Mandan, Bismarck State College
• Andrew Schafer, Flasher, Bismarck State College
• Carmencita Leaf, St. Michael, Cankdeska Cikana Community College
• Alex Abrahamson, St. John, Dakota College at Bottineau
• Haley Lorenz, Lawton, Lake Region State College
• Maara Nelson, Carrington, Lake Region State College
• Rosa Quiroz, Devils Lake, Lake Region State College
• Carmen Albrecht, Moorhead, North Dakota State College of Science
• Serena Langen, Wahpeton, North Dakota State College of Science
• Joncy Mastel, Wahpeton, North Dakota State College of Science
• Amanda Mittlestadt, Glendive, North Dakota State College of Science
• Anthony Campbell, Williston, Williston State College
• Shali Sheridan, Williston, Williston State College