Table of Contents Table of Contents
Previous Page  6 / 140 Next Page
Information
Show Menu
Previous Page 6 / 140 Next Page
Page Background

6

Lake Region State College

LRSC History

Lake Region State College, located in

northeastern North Dakota, is a two-year

community college founded in the fall of

1941 as an extension of the public school

system of Devils Lake. Known as Devils Lake

Junior College and Business School, the

college developed gradually over the next

two decades into a junior college offering

liberal arts and business programs.

Since 1959, the college has received support

from the Community College Foundation,

a group of local citizens dedicated to the

advancement of the college. Their support

includes funds for scholarships, construction

and renovations, endowments, athletics,

and staff development programs. In 1960,

the college was renamed Lake Region Junior

College.

In the early 1960’s, a dramatic change

occurred in the mission and size of the

institution. In response to regional economic

needs, a wide variety of technical and

career-oriented programs were introduced.

At the same time, the college preparatory

program developed considerably to

meet standards acceptable for transfer

to baccalaureate-granting colleges and

universities.

Rapid increases in enrollment resulted in a

building project, and the college moved to

its present campus in 1966—a one-story,

two-building complex. Skillfully designed

for the northern climate, the classrooms,

residence halls, library, student union,

recreation room and gymnasium are all

under one roof. Several additions have been

added to the original structures.

The name of the college was changed from

Junior to Community College in August of

1981. On July 1, 1984, the college joined

the North Dakota state system of higher

education. Administrative supervision was

transferred to the North Dakota State

College of Science in Wahpeton in 1985.

The college became affiliated with the

University of North Dakota in 1987,

operating as a branch campus under the

name of UND - Lake Region. It maintained

that affiliation until July 1, 1999, when the

college attained independent status within

the North Dakota University System as

Lake Region State College, charged with

addressing workforce training needs in the

northeast region of North Dakota along with

academic, career and technical education,

outreach, and life long learning. This change

was interpreted as a vote of confidence,

providing recognition and autonomy

on par with other independent colleges

within the University System. Lake Region

State College now reports directly to the

University System Chancellor and the State

Board of Higher Education.

Our Campus

Recognizing the weather conditions of

North Dakota, the planners of Lake Region

State College designed a central campus

where students have access to residence

halls, dining, student union, recreation

room, bookstore, library, auditorium,

gymnasium, computer labs, academic

classrooms, and some technical classrooms

without going outside. The new Bergstrom

Technical Center is a short walk from the

main building. Passages are ramped and

multiple story areas of the main campus are

equipped with elevators for the convenience

of students and others with disabilities.

Precision Agriculture students have a

majority of classes at the Dakota Precision

Ag Center, sometimes call north campus,

because it is located 1.5 miles north of the

main LRSC campus site.

Prospective students and any other

interested persons are invited to visit

the campus at any time. Schedule a

tour through the Admissions Office;

appointments with instructors can be

arranged.