History of Lake Region State College
Devils Lake Junior College and Business School was established in 1941 with F.H. Gilliland, Superintendent of the Devils Lake Public School District, leading the effort. With encouragement from Gilliland and other school district leaders, Legislator, J. Traynor sponsored legislation to enable ND communities of 5,000 (minimum), such as Devils Lake, to establish local colleges and receive state support. The college in Devils Lake opened with 38 registered students. The Pershing Building, an aging facility (circa 1915) once the community's high school, became home-base for the new college. Its first full-time employee was Professor H.L. Woll, who served as registrar, recruiter and business instructor. The colleges first graduates (1942) were Katherine Genevieve Kearney and Margaret Lovelle Woll. (Historical Highlights PDF
View Lake Region State College's past College Leadership
View Lake Region State College's Seals/Logos
History of the Community College Foundation
The Community College Foundation was incorporated in 1959, 18 years after Lake Region State College was launched. Both the foundation and college started with different names but their missions have endured. The Foundation's mission is to strengthen the college; the college’s mission is to serve the educational and cultural needs of the greater Lake Region and the state of North Dakota. Through the years, collaboration between the Foundation and College has helped Lake Region State College to persevere in difficult times, and to thrive and grow as challenges were overcome. The Foundation continues today under the name, Lake Region Community College Foundation of Devils Lake and is registered as a North Dakota non-profit organization. The Foundation also maintains 501(c)(3) status as a charitable, non-profit organization recognized by the Internal Revenue Service.