The Fitness Trainer Technician program at Lake Region State College includes both theory and practical application and is designed to provide students with the skills, knowledge and training required to work as a personal trainer. The program is available online to maximize access and flexibility for students. It also offers marketable skills for employment opportunities and foundation courses and general education course work for transfer into baccalaureate degree.
The program is designed to meet the following objectives:
- Promote recreational fitness and health activities in the community.
- Assess fitness levels through evaluating, recommending and monitoring client exercise programs.
- Ability to instruct clients in variety of activities.
- Provide leadership by example, establish program direction and maintain professional ethics.
- Stay on the leading edge of current nutrition and physical fitness research.
- Be skilled in assisting clients.
- Incorporate nutrition education effectively into physical fitness plans.
Many career avenues exist in the industry. Graduates can work as a group trainer, personal trainer, or work with a specific set of individuals or be an independent consultant or work for a center or health care facility. Job opportunities and salaries have a broad range.
Courses include both theory and practical application and are designed to provide the skills, knowledge and abilities necessary for working as a personal trainer. Upon completion of the program, graduates are prepared to take the American College of Sports Medicine certification exam.
Advance Your Education
An advanced degree in exercise science, physical education, kinesiology, or related area, in addition to experience, is required to advance to management positions in a health club or fitness center according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. If you plan to pursue a bachelors degree in the future, you may want to complete the Associate in Arts (AA) degree along with your AAS in FTT degree. Students should work closely with their advisor to select the appropriate courses.